Monday, September 28, 2009

Camp Quilt is done....





So I finished the quilt that is going to go in the trailer.  Boy do I ever realize how hard it is working with cheap, not so great, fabric. But the end result turned out ok. The quilt measures 67" x 79" (the biggest I've done thus far!) I'm not super crazy about this quilt, but it is super soft and cuddly. For the quilting I tried something new (and realized I'm awful at it!). I did a swirly-q-loopy type pattern around each square. The quilting really is horrible so please don't look too close! After a while of quilting I looked at the back and saw that there were some tension issues but there was no way I was ripping out seams, so I just left it. It's not a gift for anyone and is going to stay in our trailer for our camping trips, so no biggy.


I'm excited to use it because we have a camping trip planned in a little less than 2 weeks. We are headed to Bridgeport, CA which is where I met my husband 9 years ago at another camping adventure with a big group of people. It's one of our favorite places to camp but now also one of the most saddest places for us. 3 years ago we were camping there for the Fourth of July and our 2 dogs ran off to do the the thing that dogs do and only one returned. We were wilderness camping in the middle of no where. We searched for four days for him. Then went home made fliers and hubby returned to the town and posted the fliers all over town. He stayed another week searching for him to no avail. He hiked at least 10 miles each day out in the wilderness. We like to think since it's a real "hot spot" to go for the 4th of July, that another family found him and decided to  keep him. So this will be our first trip back since we lost our beloved "Mason".



Now, on to happier thoughts, I'm just so excited to get one more camping trip in (probably our last for a while) and see the beautiful Fall colors. Right now we are living in the desert in the middle of Nevada and it's just horrible. No trees, no pretty colors and it's been in the 90s everyday. (but that will change later in the week! Which I'm thrilled about! It's actually dropping down to the mid to high 60s!) I'll take some pictures of our camping and be sure to post those when we return!

7 comments:

  1. CONGRATS on the quilt! its really really cute!!! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks great and I agree, you do appreciate better fabric quality when you work with cheaper fabrics. Having said this your trailor will be the best "quilted" trailor in the town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! I too hate to discover back tension problems ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt! It's perfect for camping and I especially love the little rectangle border! It really spices it up, I think. The pieced back is lovely too.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy...how devastating. :( I do hope he found another nice family to live with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet camp quilt. I love how you did the back, too. So many times folks skimp on the back - and I love the fabric you chose, as well as the cool little stripe down the back. Very, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the compliments on the Camp Quilt! Well we used it this past weekend and it was WONDERFUL! My husband likes it so much he keeps asking why it has to stay in the trailer. I actually pulled it out to wash it again and I guess it may get a a home in our family room this fall and winter since we won't be camping much!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...so comment away!