Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"Salt Water Taffy" scruffily quilt

Another scruffily quilt. Yes,  I love this pattern. It's easy, it's fairly fast, and I have yet to see one that I don't like. 
I was approached by a friend who is also the President of the Parent Teacher Committee at my daughter's school asking if I'd be willing to make and donate a quilt for a silent auction fundraiser benefiting the school. Of course I said yes. 
I went through my stash and pulled these fabrics. The tutorial for this quilt can be found here.
I altered the pattern a little bit. First off, I didn't use a layer cake, charm pack and jelly roll. Since I was using yardage, I cut the large squares 10.5", the middle square 5.5" and the center square 3". 
 For the binding I tried something new. I wanted to create a "scruffily" binding. So I attached the folded part to the edge of the back side of the quilt and then folded it over to the front, and then machine stitched it to the front. In doing this it created the effect I was looking for and I'm pleased with the end result. I did realize something though, I will never machine stitch the binding on quilts anymore. As it is much faster, to be blunt,  I just plain ol' suck at it. So I'll do the finishing by hand from now on out!
quilt measures 57"x66"

11 comments:

  1. Love it! I just went to the tutorial and it looks so easy. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Great tip about the binding for this pattern - it does create the perfect effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I especially love the green and pink...another of my favorite color combos!

    I love your clever binding idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! The colors are perfect & your binding very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful Jen. I love the pinks and greens together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful! what a wonderful quilt for snuggling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quilt! Great idea on scruffy binding just for thinking outside the box. You never know unless you try. Off to check out the tutorial...thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. seriously brilliant binding on this one! great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...so comment away!