Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Swanky Lattice

One of my friends contacted to me to see if I'd be willing to make a quilt to donate for a silent auction to raise money for her son's preschool. I was more than happy to oblige. I had a "Swanky" by Chez Moi Jelly roll that I really had no idea what to do with. It's was something I purchased a long time ago originally to make a quilt for my daughter. Since then both our tastes have changed, so it was just an extra item I had. I do love the fabric though.
A long time ago, I saw this and knew I wanted to make one someday. Then there was this one and this one! I really love those. So this was born:
 
Quilt stats:
colored fabric strips: Swanky jelly roll by Chez Moi for Moda
white fabric: Ikea Dvala sheet
backing fabric: a fabric I really liked found at Joann's
binding fabric: another one found at Joann's
measures: 59"x69"

I quilted this one using Connection Thread's Essential PRO thread. It's 100% polyester. Why did I use this thread instead of my usually Essential thread that is 100% cotton? I just wanted to try it. It says it's for long arm users. Even though I'm not a long arm quilter, I wanted to see how it was. Here's my review. I had absolutely no thread breakage and very little, if any, lint. So that was nice. It quilted beautifully and I'm glad I tried it! I'm not sure of the weight of it, but it did seem a little bit thinner than the Essential cotton thread I normally quilt with.  But I really liked it and will use it again in the future!

I hope my friend's preschool gets a little money with the help of this quilt.

9 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! You know how much I like bright colors mixed with lots of white. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's beautiful! As much as the heart that pieced, quilted and donated it!

    Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've seen that design too and i've always wanted to make one...but i'm going to have to wait until i don't have a full plate.

    You did an AWESOME job on the quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice! i love the simple design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been waiting to see this! Fabulous! I really like the colors and the prints ... the thing I really like about this design is that it really highlights the prints against the white! You did a GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely - I have a jelly roll I don't know what to do with so might have to add this quilt to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Thanks for the note about the tread you used for quilting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful quilt. It's simple but it's so pretty. I love the fabrics that you used in making this quilt. I'm sure this quilt will help your friend's preschool get some money for a good cause. Keep up the good work and continue to be an inspiration to many! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...so comment away!