Friday, January 10, 2014

Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern




I get more and more requests for this pattern. So I thought I'd just do a post about it. I pretty much "winged" this. (Well, the body of it is a pattern and the edging was totally improv.)

For the Body:
(This is a baby blanket size. I think around 34"x39". I typically buy 1000 yards of yarn for a blanket that size.)
Foundation chain: multiple of 3 + 2 chains 
Once you get the length you want…
Row 1: In 2nd ch from hook work single crochet and 2 double crochets. skip the next 2 chains. In the next chain work a single crochet and 2 double crochets, skip the next 2 chains. repeat this all the way down. In the last chain, do a single crochet. chain 1 and turn.
Row 2: in first single crochet work a single crochet and 2 double crochets. Skip the next 2 double crochets. In next single, work a single and 2 doubles and so on to the last single crochet. In the last single crochet, do a single crochet, chain 1 and turn. 
Repeat row 2 until you reach the length desired. At end of last row do not chain 1 do not turn. 

For the Edging:
This was improved so I don't really remember how I did it since it's been so long. I'm pretty sure I went around the whole blanket with a single crochet, (3 singles in each corner). For rounds 2-4  I did a half double crochet (3 hdc in corners). Then I believe I did some variation of this: (oh and because I did a couple rows of half double crochets (hdc) and not just a single crochet all around, I worked the corners accordingly. I think I usually do a hdc in the first sc of the 3 sc in corner then 2 in the center one then one in the last) Does that make sense? Like I said, I just sort of wing it on the corners to what looks right.

Next round: Ch 3 (counts as a dc), (2dc, ch3, 3 dc) in same hdc for corner, *skip 2 hdc, 3 dc in next hdc, repeat from * to next corner, (3dc, ch3, 3dc) in center hdc of 3 hdc corner group; repeat from * around ending last rep (skip 2 hdc, 3dc in next hdc) to beginning corner, skip 2 hdc, join in 3rd ch of begin gin ch-3.

Next Round: Ch 5, skip next dc, sc in next dc; in next ch-3 work sc, ch 5, sc) for corner, * work (sc, ch 5, skip next dc, sc in next dc) to next corner, and so on all the way around.

Edgings are tricky for me and I usually get so lost in the directions and on which round I'm on, so I almost always never follow a pattern. I just go for it and see what looks good. This is the only blanket I've made that has this fancy of an edging and I don't even remember how I did it!


I was having a hard time keeping track of the numbers when I was going around, so I ended up just sort-of creating my own pattern. If you're looking for a good Crochet Edgings book, this is a pretty good one.



5 comments:

  1. Many thanks for posting this, It?s simply what I was researching for on bing. I?d rather a lot relatively hear opinions from a person, barely than an organization internet web page, that?s why I like blogs so significantly. Many thanks!
    Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely perfect! (I wing the edges of most of my own blankets, too.) The only thing I'm doing differently is alternating colors to personalize it. My boss's daughter was born 5/4/14 so I'm doing 14 rows of soft white, 5 rows of petal pink, 2 rows of soft white, 4 rows of a soft mossy green, 2 rows of soft white, 5 rows of soft pink, then starting over again with the white. I'll be sure to post a picture for you (and link this post in my own blog!) when it's completed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pattan for the edging does not mach the picture ,didnt work out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said she didn't remember how she did it. Will just have to wing it or figure it out.

      Delete
  4. Can not find a print option for this blanket. Am I missing something. Would love to make it for my new Granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...so comment away!