Friday, June 17, 2011

A Family Heirloom

This quilt was made by my husband's Great-Great-Aunt. My mother-in-law gave it to me several years ago for my eldest daughter's bed. We used it for a while but then I put it away. It's falling apart in places and I just can't risk it being completely ruined so now it sits in a cupboard. 
I've been wanting to do a blog post about it for some time now and finally got around to it. 
We don't know exactly what year she made this but she lived from 1872-1962. 
It is hand appliqued and hand quilted. Here are each individual butterflies:
The solid blue part of the quilt is hand quilted in this really neat design, too. (kinda hard to see in the picture)
Then in several places there are worn spots, like this:
There isn't a quilt label, which really makes me sad. I'd love to know when this was actually made!
This quilt fits a full sized bed. 
I love this quilt and I love that it is still in the family.

3 comments:

  1. Have you given any thoughts to patching (maybe some cute butterflies) the worn spots? You should, and then add a label with Grandma's name and birth/death years, and your details (since you are contributing also).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what an incredible heirloom you have. I love those butterflies and the hand quilting is amazing!

    As to the label, what do you recommend doing for a label? Would you consider doing a post on it? I know it seems silly, but I never put one on the quilt I made for my daughter and have always wondered if I should have but don't know what one even looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure have a beautiful treasure there! :o)
    An elderly quilter in town told me once, that ladies would write the date they completed the quilt on the binding. Sometimes tucked in.
    I have never made a label, and would love to learn how to do so. It would sure be a special way to catalog the quilt, who made it and when. :o)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...so comment away!