Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A Modify Tradition 1 & 2 and also A Quilt for Charity


ok, here's the story... 

I started this quilt back in 2010, when Modify Tradition's Round 2 started. I was fairly new to quilting and buying fabrics. While on vacation in Oregon, I stopped into a quilt and fabric shop. They had a bunch of this fabric on sale and I bought it up. Not even sure why because it's not like I loved it, it was just on sale for a great price and it was "real fabric" aka not fabric from Joann's. (not that there is anything wrong with that! It's just at the time I had never bought designer fabric from a quilt store). 

So I started the blocks and after 4, I hated the fabric, hated the quilt-along and just got lazy. So I quit. 

Fast forward 4 years and 3 moves later from one coast to the other...
There was a reason to pull those 4 blocks out and finish it! 

Our Officer's Wives Club was asked to make a gift basket donation for the VVOSA  to help raise funds for the scholarship fund they do. They are holding a symposium in VA next month and asked all the Hawkeye and Greyhound squadrons to donate something. Each squadron was given a Country as a theme so it's an "Around the World" silent auction. Our squadron was assigned China.

I remembered my started blocks and how the fabric was made with an Asian print fabric. So I dug them out, finished it up and it's ready to go! I ended up adding some blocks from the 1st MT quilt along because they were easy, fast blocks. I don't really care much for a traditional layout of a sampler quilt so I just scattered the blocks. It kinda looks wonky and didn't quite have the effect I was looking for, but it will have to do.  It's not really "China" but hey, who doesn't love a quilt! 

I hope it raises lots of money!
 

Quilt stats:
Measures: 54"W x 71"L
Fabric: Cho-Cho no Sanpomichi by Kumiko Sudo (2007)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I love your quilt. I am using this fabric to make a quilt and need some more of the small red medallion fabric. I have tried searching everywhere and when I saw you photo I thought you may still have some in your stash. Hope you don't mind. I hope you raised lots of money with it. It looks great. hoping you can help.
    regards Louise Hannemann, Keith, South Australia

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...so comment away!